Friday, September 08, 2006

TIFF - Day Two

WOMAN ON THE BEACH (Hong Sang-soo) (74)
Important Note: Hardcore Hong-heads may feel he's taken a massive step in the wrong direction. Though he did warn us that he would, at the end of TALE OF CINEMA.

THE BOTHERSOME MAN (Jens Lien) (47)

HANA (Hirokazu Kore-eda) (44)

BRAND UPON THE BRAIN! (Guy Maddin) unofficial rating: 82
This is a live event, and impossible to rate as a movie since I spent half my time looking at the ingenious foley artists (who actually smash plates to simulate the smashing of a plate) and live narration. But the film is so astonishing it would probably crack the 80+ barrier even if it were just shown normally with recorded music, sounds and narration. Still haven't decided if it's eligible for my Top 10 list, watch this space, etc.

THE LIVES OF OTHERS (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck) Zzzzzz
Alas, BRAND UPON THE BRAIN! ran late, sabotaging the next slot and turning my six-film day into a five-film day, which became a four-and-a-half-film day since my body, deprived of the drip-feed of constant cinematic stimulation, suddenly recalled it was knackered when allowed to have a break - esp. since it was watching THE LIVES OF OTHERS. Watched about an hour, plus another 40 mins. on doze-mode: it's actually quite good (in the 60-65 range) but it has the kind of placid rhythm that would probably make me yawn even on a good day. Will be catching up with it again, someday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve C. said...

Hooray for the Maddin in my opinion. I can't wait to see this damn thing.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Jeremy Heilman said...

The divisiveness of the Hong is driving me insane. I can't believe I have to wait a month to see it. :/

Maybe I can still get a ticket to the Apitchapong...

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home