TIFF - Day One
12:08 EAST OF BUCHAREST (Corneliu Porumboiu) (70)
BAMAKO (Abderrahmane Sissako) (68)
THE HOST (Bong Joon-ho) (72) [second viewing]
Note: I still think the through-line is weak on this, but scene-for-scene it's obv. awesome. And having now seen it work an audience twice, I must admit it's just a really effective action movie.
KING AND THE CLOWN (Jun-ik Lee) (57)
DONG (Jia Zhang-ke) (53)
THE SESSION IS OPEN (Vincenzo Marra) (71)
Pre-Festival:
THANK YOU FOR SMOKING (Jason Reitman) (51)
A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION (Robert Altman) (65)
BAMAKO (Abderrahmane Sissako) (68)
THE HOST (Bong Joon-ho) (72) [second viewing]
Note: I still think the through-line is weak on this, but scene-for-scene it's obv. awesome. And having now seen it work an audience twice, I must admit it's just a really effective action movie.
KING AND THE CLOWN (Jun-ik Lee) (57)
DONG (Jia Zhang-ke) (53)
THE SESSION IS OPEN (Vincenzo Marra) (71)
Pre-Festival:
THANK YOU FOR SMOKING (Jason Reitman) (51)
A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION (Robert Altman) (65)

2 Comments:
I am mildly disappointed that neither Hong nor Bong directed Dong.
Michael, SESSION's just a really entertaining doc about Neapolitan lawyers and judges, and/or the inertia of the Italian legal system. Which I know doesn't sound too entertaining, but trust me. Style is vaguely Wiseman-esque, strong on the quirky humanism. Slot it in if you have a spare slot in my opinion.
Post a Comment
<< Home