Cannes: Day 5
THE CAIMAN (dir., Nanni Moretti) (73)
URO (dir., Stefan Faldbakken) (53)
THE HOST (dir., Bong Joon-ho) (59)
First half-hour = 75+
MELVIL (dir., Melvil Poupaud) (33)
FLANDERS (dir., Bruno Dumont) (67)
Important Note for Bruno Dumont fans: This is a Bruno Dumont picture where someone says "I love you" (and apparently means it). Proceed at your own risk.
URO (dir., Stefan Faldbakken) (53)
THE HOST (dir., Bong Joon-ho) (59)
First half-hour = 75+
MELVIL (dir., Melvil Poupaud) (33)
FLANDERS (dir., Bruno Dumont) (67)
Important Note for Bruno Dumont fans: This is a Bruno Dumont picture where someone says "I love you" (and apparently means it). Proceed at your own risk.

7 Comments:
Just when I'm getting excited about the apparently creepy asian monster movie you had to come and ruin everything.
Anyway, good job going to Cans, bud. I'm missing the bloggy-asides, though. Don't forget to catch THE CODE BY LEONARDO DA VINCI which is sure to be one of the greatest motion pictures of all time.
I'm sorry, that's a typo, right? It's suppose to say 38 for Flanders, no?
Hrm. I'm not quite sure what to think of Flanders now. Then again, I'm a latecomer to the Dumont train. (I should probably rewatch Humanite someday.) We shall see.
I'm salivating over the new Bong, though.
Thanks for helping to keep my faith strong on the Dumont and Moretti. They are both surely awesome.
Surely. After all, they were made by Dumont and Moretti. Indeed, Theo more or less admitted that he'd like any film Dumont made so long as he's "on form and doing his Dumont thing." The details of the actual film don't much matter, apparently. Vomit.
So Dumont is on and doing his Dumont thing?
I intend on finally watching Twentynine Palms this afternoon/evening just to settle this Dumont question. Those crazy, mixed-up crix ratings continue to tease and provoke me.
Sorry about that typo Ryan, it's now been corrected. CAIMAN went slightly up on further reflection, though.
Waz, unless I've got things hopelessly wrong you're going to dig the Moretti. As for Dumont, though, let me make it clear in case my gentle hint wasn't enough: Hardcore Dumont fans will almost certainly be disappointed by FLOUNDERS. It's surprisingly ordinary for Dumont, though his craft and general sensibility are intact. In fact it probably works best for non-hardcore fans like myself, who've always admired his work but wished he weren't quite so ... weird.
Also, relax Brazilian teenage fanclub, the Asian monster movie is overall awesome. It's just that for the first half-hour I thought I was witnessing the birth of a new world order, where from now on Korea would be Blockbuster Central and Spielberg would have to set his films in Seoul in order to capture that elusive global market. Alas, it gets bogged down, and I actually got slightly bored in the middle there. But the Overall Awesomeness factor? High.
re: Twentynine --
Well, that didn't work.
Post a Comment
<< Home